Friday, January 22, 2016

And Here It Is

My Etsy shop, Handmaiden.

 
Welcome to Handmaiden!
 
My love for handwork goes far back. Before I was ever born. Before my parents were born. Handwork was a part of everyday life for my ancestors. It gave them a way to add beauty to their homes. A way to pass hours with friends or long, northern winter evenings. A way to give special gifts to those they loved. And most of all, a way to provide clothing and comfort for their families.
 
Even farther back, my loving Creator imagined a universe. Then He made it. On planet earth He placed people, stamped with many of His characteristics. One of those characteristics is - you guessed it - creativity. So you see my love for handwork goes very far back.
 
Times have changed since my ancestors lived, yet I carry on Great-Grandma's making of afghans and doilies. Grandma's embroidered dish towels that she reserved for holiday dish washings are replicated by my hands - though not nearly as beautifully. Mom's hand knit mittens made from wool raised and spun by her hands (with a good dose of sheep raising help from Dad) have kept my own hands warm for two decades. I am now giving mitten knitting a try.
 
For the last few years handwork has become a great gift to me. It has been my creative outlet and help through hours of weakness, pain, and weariness while fighting disease. Now I invite you to enjoy this gift with me that was passed down to me by my family and Father.
 
Together we will pass on a gift to vulnerable women - the gift of hope, dignity, and true Life. For each item I sell, my family sews and donates one LuoPad. Learn more about the LuoPad project at gainusa.org/onewoman. Thank you for being a part of this life giving project!
 
Soli Deo Gloria*,
Elsa
 
*or SDG as Johann Sebastian Bach signed his musical scores. Translated "For the Glory of God Alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...