Friday, October 9, 2020

Greater Truth

The last months I have experienced challenging health set backs that have brought me close to the door of despair. The refrain in my mind has been, "This is too much for me. I can't take this anymore." Any health expert would say that these negative thoughts are a sure way of staying sick or even getting sicker. But what do you do when your negative thoughts are true? Cover them up with a band aid of a smile? (Yes, you will see me smiling these days, but keep reading to find out why I can.) Say the opposite of what is true and hope that somehow things will magically change? How about something better - replace those Negative Truths with Greater Truth.

I have been seeing a lot of empty words thrown out to those going through hard times. Statements like, "You've got this, " or "You are enough," abound. A few months ago a friend pointed out to me another common phrase that is lacking in truth. "God won't give you more than YOU can handle." While this is partly true (see I Cor. 10:13 and how it pertains to temptation), the phrase lacks all that makes it true. The Negative Truth is WE can't handle this life in our human strength. The Greater Truth is that GOD'S sufficient strength is ours for the having (I Cor. 12:9).

Negative Truths are those that come from looking down and looking in. Greater Truth comes from looking up at our Father.

The same friend who showed me the self focused lie in this phrase created a counter-phrase, a Greater Truth, to say in those times of white-knuckle need. Here I have slightly altered her words to make a tidy little rhyme: "When life is more than you can bear, remember God is always there."

"...a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

- II Corinthians 10:12-13 -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...