Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Pain an Idol?


"Don't let your trial become an idol." That is roughly what Damaras Carbaugh said to me over the radio waves one day six years ago.* No, she didn't use my name. God added my name to Damaras' words as the impact of them settled into my mind. "Don't let your trial become an idol, Elsa."

An idol is something we revere. It is something that consumes our heart, mind and soul. It is something that takes precedence over all objects, events and relationships. It is something we take pride in.

How can something bad become a thing of pride to us? Watch a group of children showing off their badges of honor in the form of bumps and bruises, and you will see pride in something that originally was bad. We adults do the same thing in a more sophisticated way. Well, sometimes we are more sophisticated.

Pride in our trial breeds selfishness. A heart consumed with self has little room for others. Selfishness destroys relationships. We put ourselves before others, and we pull away from God who sees each person's pain with an equal measure of compassion.

"Don't let your trial become an idol, Elsa." I have heard this phrase now and again over the years. The warning has not come over the radio these times but rather from the small voice of my pricked conscience. I have put my trial higher than others’ trials. This has lead to strained relationships. I have let pain gain control of my thoughts. This has lead to distance from my Creator, Savior and Sustainer. Yes, a trial can become an idol.

Nevertheless, idols can be destroyed. Through repentance they can be thrown into the fire of mercy. Forgiveness can replace hurt. The Savior can take back His rightful throne and heal our sinful souls as, by His enabling grace we gaze on Him, not our trials.

*For the original quote and a good dose of godly exhortation that will stir your soul to action, listen to the Revive Our Hearts podcast titled "Walk with Me with Damaris Carbaugh," originally aired in May of 2014. This quote comes from the third part, "Goodbye to Me," but the whole series is well worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...