Saturday, November 14, 2020

Roasted Squash Seeds

I think I received a bit of Grandma R's Depression Era thrift. While I don't keep a roll of used cling wrap handy, I do like milking our vitamin rich produce for all it's worth. Scrubbing vegetables rather than peeling, saving a particularly nice cabbage core for Mom to put in her chicken stock, and freezing shredded zucchini to be slowly caramelized on the stove top with a dash of salt and garlic powder for a winter vegetable are a few of my versions of thrift mixed with nutrition. My use of squash has all other forms of thrift beat, though. While we used to keep only the sweet and vibrant squash flesh, roasted, in our freezer, I have now added squash skins and seeds. 

The skins get frozen after roasting wedges of squash until perfectly tender. Scoop out the delicious flesh to eat right away or freeze, remove areas of scabs and scars from the squash, and enjoy as a lower carb version of squash. I especially like this for noon or breakfast, when my body prefers fewer carbs but my palate wants the comfort of squash.

Note No.1: Butternut squash has a hard, waxy skin and is not at all nice for eating. Buttercup, hubbard, kabocha and many others are the way to go.
Note No. 2: My family thinks I'm a bit strange to eat squash skins. I won't judge you if you think the same.

Now for squash seeds. I follow basic principles as for roasting pumpkin seeds. 


Pick out seeds by hand from center of cut open squash. This is a less messy if done before scooping out the waste rather than picking through the waste to find the seeds. 

Place seeds in a bowl, cover in water, and squeeze through fingers to help release stringy flesh. Look out the window while you do this to pass the time enjoying your surroundings.

Drain and rinse in a colander.

Repeat the last two steps two or so more times until slime is mostly removed from seeds.

Optional: Place on a clean towel to dry overnight, or proceed to the next step. (See Note No. 3 below)



Place on backing pan, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. You may add any spice at this point as well: cinnamon, chili, paprika, etc.

Stir, then spread evenly in one layer over pan.


Roast at 300° F for 25-35 minutes, or until lightly golden and nutty in flavor.

Cool, then pack away for later snacking.

Note No 1: Eat husk and all. The flavor is much like popcorn.
Note No. 2: I freeze these in jars for winter snacking to avoid any mold growth from residual moisture. 
Note No. 3: Each squash and pumpkin has a unique seed with various textures and flavors. The hubbard squash seeds shown above are our largest and least tender. I find they are more tender if not air dried before roasting. If you are entering into squash seed snacks with trepidation, stick with the smaller, less husky seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...